Lewes Castle sits on the top of a hill overlooking the town and its river crossing. Based on an early Norman motte-and-bailey fortification with a wooden palisade surrounding the top of a man-made earth and flint mound. Building began in 1066 under William de Warenne and the fortifications were improved over the next few centuries. The castle was a Royalist stronghold in the Second Barons’ War where King Henry III was defeated and captured by the Barons’ forces led by Simon de Montfort at the Battle of Lewes (14 May 1264).
- Only available in the UK
- Shipped free within 3-5 working days
- Archival quality media
- Available in four sizes
- Two sizes of mat mount